Green North Energy completes green hydrogen and ammonia production concept – project triples in size
Green North Energy’s green hydrogen and ammonia project is progressing according to plan, and the plant concept has now been completed. As a result, the project has tripled in size from the original plan. The company will play a significant role in Finland’s security of supply and green transition.
Green North Energy has completed its scalable plant concept for the production of green hydrogen and ammonia. During the planning phase, the plant’s capacity was defined as 280 MW and the total investment amount as EUR 580 million. There is clear demand for green hydrogen products, and Green North Energy has already signed several letters of intent.
Elomatic, the parent company of Green North Energy, consulted on the concept planning, which was carried out with funding from Business Finland. The work now continues with basic planning, which will further define the plan and budget.
“It’s great to be able to use our decades of experience to promote Green North Energy’s vision. Such scalable solutions are needed to meet sustainability challenges,” says Veli-Matti Niemi, Project Manager at Elomatic.
“I would like to thank Elomatic’s experts for their excellent collaboration. It is a big advantage for our project that we get to utilize our Group’s strengths, from technological expertise to project management,” says Jussi Ylinen, CEO of Green North Energy.
Green North Energy aims to produce green fuels and chemicals using renewable electricity. This will make it possible to replace climate-damaging fossil fuels while also creating jobs in the green transition. The company intends to set up its first green ammonia production plant in Naantali, Finland, where production is planned to start in 2026.
Jussi Ylinen, Managing Director
Green North Energy Oy
t. +358 40 577 2430
Established in 2021, Green North Energy is a green energy project development company, which enables the operation of green hydrogen and ammonia plants. The largest business owners of the company are the consulting and engineering company Elomatic and Flexens Oy Ab. The company will build a green hydrogen and ammonia production plant in Naantali in the coming years.
Facts about ammonia
What is ammonia used for?
- Ammonia is a very commonly used chemical on a global scale.
- Ammonia’s main use is in the manufacture of fertilizers. In addition, it is typically used in the production of urea, in industrial processes (e.g. in the textile industry) and in the recovery of carbon dioxide.
- In the future, ammonia will also be used as fuel for ships fuel and as an energy carrier.
Why is green ammonia needed?
- The hydrogen needed in the production of ammonia has traditionally been produced from natural gas. It causes approximately 1.5% of global carbon dioxide emissions, which accelerate global warming.
- The production of green ammonia causes no carbon dioxide emissions.
Why is it important to produce green ammonia in Finland?
- Europe, especially Finland, is very dependent on Russia for ammonia production.
- Due to the availability and price increase of natural gas, European ammonia production has faced strong challenges.
- Ammonia has a significant importance for Finland in terms of security of supply, both in food production and in securing foreign trade.