Power plant design can benefit greatly from CFD modeling. CFD simulations are frequently used in power plant related initial design, revision, R&D and troubleshooting projects. Simulations offer a cost-effective and quick way to study processes that are expensive or even impossible to study with conventional methods. Scope of power plant related simulations can range from fuel pretreatment to flue gas dispersion.
Our broad experience covers a number of different applications for the energy sector:
- Detailed combustion modeling with coupled heat transfer
- Simulation of explosions and corresponding structure interactions
- Design and modeling of turbomachinery including pumps, fans, turbines and compressors
- Simulation of heat exchangers, calculation of pressure drops and heat transfer performance
- Simulation of indoor spaces and open environments
- Modeling of noise generated by through-flow or mechanical vibration
- Fine tuning industrial automation and optimal controls through simulation
- Exhaust pipe explosion simulation
- Water hammer
Air ducts, fans, wind boxes and preheaters are modeled to reach even combustion, low pressure drop in ducts and high overall efficiency in power plants.
Different kind of boilers and kilns can be simulated to study their performance and locate potential issues. For example flue gas properties, erosion and heat fluxes can be studied with a CFD model. Both new plants and old boilers facing revisions are often modeled to aid design phase.
Steam drums and heat transfer surfaces are typical points of interest in steam cycle. CFD model offers a view inside components that cannot be viewed or measured during operation. CFD modeling has proven useful in both product development and troubleshooting projects.
Flue gas treatment
Scrubbers, electrostatic precipitators and baghouse filters typically benefit from an even flue gas flow profile. Erosion and fouling caused by solid particles should also be avoided. These are typical areas of interest when modeling flue gas treatment equipment.
Sales Manager, Technology Solutions, CFD