HVAC & Environmental Risk Analysis
Heating, ventilation and air conditioning (HVAC) applications are commonly simulated. Both single devices and ventilation at large complexes can be analyzed. Calculations can account for temperature variation, thermal loads, moisture, particle spreading, mixing of different gases and forced or natural convection.
Examples of our services:
- Calculation of pressure drop and/or noise generation of terminal unit
- Optimization of heat exchangers (heat transfer and pressure drop)
- Nozzle optimization (jet shapes and dispersion)
- Particle concentrations and particle movement
- Local relative moisture simulations or mixing of gas species
- Interior air conditioning and optimization, identifying short-circuiting or dead zones
- Wind engineering in urban environment
- Fire simulations (smoke removal, evacuation and thermal loads)
- Dust control and suppression
When modelling public spaces several different aspects must be considered so that the space is comfortable and safe to use:
- Room temperature
- Air humidity
- Air velocities
- Fan capacities
- Location of ventilation, heating and air conditioning units
- Heat losses through windows, walls and doors
- Expected occupancy
- Ambient conditions
Strict cleanliness requirements might not be easy to achieve only with conventional methods. CFD lessens the pain by providing a deeper understanding of air flows and thermal aspects inside the clean room.
Thermal CFD simulation enables proper design of the chilling solution even in large warehouses at the same time when energy costs are decreased. It can be made sure that the conditions at every phase of the product chain are optimal for the product in question.
Positioning of the terminal units can easily be optimized using CFD. Parking garages are a common example of the application, where performance of the fans together with air supply and extract are of interest.
Single terminal unit
New smaller air decontamination unit is one example of terminal devices, which can be studied and optimized with the help of CFD. In this case there was a need for a unit that requires only little floor space. Simulation was used to identify noise sources and to optimize the fan chamber. Based on the results, modifications were made to the fasteners of the fan and to the shape of the chamber leading to a smaller and quiet end product.
Wind Engineering and Hazardous Events
Understanding of aerodynamics is needed to further understand how a building interacts with its environment and how comfortable conditions for people near the building are. Hazardous events, such as fires, gas leaks and explosions, might also occur in buildings. These events can be simulated accurately in order to find out for example how harmful gases propagate and what is the size of the safety zone.
Examples of our services:
- Pedestrian comfort at ground level
- Fire, smoke pressure wave propagation
- Transport and dispersion of exhaust gases and pollutants
- Environment risk analysis
- Functioning of natural ventilation
Ventilation study of an apartment building
At the apartment the concentration of the old air at the intake of the fresh air must not exceed 1 %. Using CFD it can be made sure that this criterion is fullfilled in all wind conditions, and if necessary, improvements to the terminal devices and their locations suggested.