Computational Fluid Dynamics (CFD)
Computational fluid dynamics (CFD) is the science of predicting fluid flow and mass and heat transfer.
By thinking outside the box with the help of simulation, you can test even wild ideas without building a large number of prototypes. Energy is saved and the final product is environmentally friendly.
Long and expensive production downtimes can be avoided when computer-aided methods are used for troubleshooting. Usually, prediction and preparation for malfunctions or dangerous situations using simulations make sure they don’t occur at all.
Nowadays, various technical applications are used to ease different activities, improve comfort and to ensure a safe environment. By modelling these applications, their functionality and optimal performance can be assured.
SAVINGS IN TIME AND MONEY
All this provides significant savings in both time and money. Analysis increases the knowledge of the device or process, thereby resulting in functional, safe and ecological products.
- Simulation of deflagration in exhaust systems
- Analysing ship aerodynamics
- The MetNet Mars lander
- Modern methods in ship structure analysis
- CFD Modelling for performance optimization of feedwater heaters in the power industry
- Risky business
- Ship operability analysis
- CFD applied in health and safety environment studies
- CFD in environmental engineering
- Computational Fluid Dynamics has endless possibilities
- Virtauksista värähtelyihin (in Finnish)
- Virtauslaskenta ympäristönsuojelussa (in Finnish)
Simulation should be an obvious choice in
- Product development
- Concept studies
- Ergonomic studies
- Comfort studies
- Emission control
- Risk analysis
- Energy efficiency calculations
- Customer care
Benefits of technical analysis
- Savings in product development time
- More reliable structures
- Savings in manufacturing and product life-cycle costs
- Decreased need for prototypes
- Handy comparison of alternatives
- Prediction of overall performance
- Efficient decision-making support
- Enhanced environmental friendliness
- Increased knowledge of the final product or process
- Effortless troubleshooting
Performance and Hydrodynamics
Most of the ship power is used in propulsion which is needed to compensate hull surface friction and pressure resistance at sea service. Decreasing the additional resistance gives huge yearly cost savings.Read more: Performance
Safety and Comfort
Understanding aerodynamics is needed in order to increase passenger comfort on the upper decks. Hazardous events, such as fire or gas leaks, can occur indoors. These events can be simulated accurately.Read more: Safety and comfort
Power plant design can benefit greatly from CFD modeling. CFD simulations are frequently used in power plant related initial design, revision, R&D and troubleshooting projects. Simulations offer a cost-effective and quick way to study processes that are expensive or even impossible to study with conventional methods. Scope of power plant related simulations can range from fuel pretreatment to flue gas dispersion.Read more: Power Plants
Aerospace & Lightweight Structures
In addition to commercial CFD codes, Elomatic uses its own CFD code when there is a demand for higher accuracy. Our team of specialists takes pride in being at the leading edge of aerospace and lightweight structures research in Finland.
The FINFLO® solver is based on several detached-eddy-simulation (DES) approaches where only the boundary layer region is Reynolds-averaged. Elsewhere large-eddy-simulation (LES) is used. DES methods are nowadays widely used in time-dependent flow simulations with FINFLO® code. Originally, the FINFLO flow solver was developed to solve complicated flow phenomena around complex fighter aircraft configurations. Later the code has been developed for various types of other applications including cavitating flows.
Aerodynamical applications are challenging in comparison to many industrial applications, since the friction, i.e. the boundary layers must be accurately resolved. In comparison to commercial codes it is easier to trust the results given by own comprehensively validated in-house code. It is also easy to make case-dependent modifications to the code if needed.READ MORE: FINFLO®
Ensure that the new ideas are safe to use and provide needed performance for the new build or re-build ship. Feasibility studies include such as new concepts, seakeeping and maneuvering.Read more: Risk analysis
HVAC and Environmental Risk Analysis
HVAC systems can be easily analyzed using CFD techniques to optimize energy consumption, decrease the age of air or study the removal of burning gases in case of fire. Often simulations are used to make sure that existing or newly designed systems of public spaces such as schools, libraries, theatres, shopping malls and hospitals are adequate, year round. Industrial plants benefit from CFD aided design of the HVAC systems in their production buildings and warehouses.
The need for the environmental risk analysis comes usually from the government regulations instead. Explosions and chemical leaks and fires are examples of hazardous events that can easily be simulated to find out gas dispersion, noise propagation and safety distances.Read more: HVAC & risk analysis
Simulations in the chemical industry mostly deal with improving imperfect mixing, mass transfer, separation or heat transfer. Chemical reactions can be added on the needed level of detail. Often mass transfer, particulate separation, bubble rise velocities, phase change or heat transfer play an important part in perfecting process performance. When modeling chemical processes field specific expertise and skill to simplify complex phenomena is of utmost importance.
Our services include:
- mixing tanks
- water treatment
- chemical reactors
- separation processes
- blowouts, rupture discs etc.
- reaction heat distribution and heat exchangers
- multiphase simulations and phase changes
At Elomatic we can cover rotating machinery from fans to pumps and their CFD analysis, structural analysis and design. We also do non-Newtonian fluids; if the fluid has known properties, we can simulate it. Our simulation services range from optimizing the operation of single device to designing new devices from scratch. Turbomachinery has always been an integral part of operations.
Examples of our services:
- fans (all types)
- turbines (all types)
- compressors, all types (including turbos)
- pumps, all types (including all fluids)
- propellers and propulsion equipment
Pulp and Paper Industry
The modeling of paper machines and their associated sub-processes has long been one of Elomatic's core competencies. Specific models have been developed for the simulation of certain areas, and they can be used to describe the functioning of the paper machine as realistically as possible. These models are used in demanding R&D projects, where CAE modeling plays a central role.
Examples of our services:
- stock preparation, simulation of mixing with non-Newtonian fluids
- fluid structure interaction covering the interaction, heat and mass transfer between the web and surrounding air flow
- detailed simulations of small piece of web, results can then be used as a sub-model in full scale simulation
Electronics cooling has been a substantial part of our business for more than 15 years, providing Elomatic with a vast amount of experience on different kinds of equipment and novel cooling solutions. Simulating a single component in detail or modeling larger units and cabinets is fast and very reliable. All the relevant heat transfer phenomena i.e. convection, conduction and radiation, are included. When needed even mass transfer, thermal deformations and explosions can be modeled.
Examples of our services:
- standardized and detailed thermal simulation of single components
- accurate thermal simulation of circuit boards, accounting for copper layers and conductors
- liquid cooling
- heat sinks and fins and their optimization
- detailed cooling fan simulations, fan operation is linked to the local heat load and fan performance curve
- modeling of whole devices such as telecommunication equipment, servers, converters and hand-held tools
- modeling of large sets of equipment such as server cabinets and data rooms
- thermal stress distribution in the structure and heat related deformations
Elomatic has a lot of experience of acoustic and noise simulations, including analysis of both noise generation and propagation.
Examples of our services:
- Gear noise
- Fan noise
- Cabin noise
- Underwater acoustics
- Flow induced noise
- Meeting environmental standards
For noise propagation, both low frequency analyses (using the finite element method, FEM) and high frequency analyses (using statistical energy analysis, SEA) are frequently applied.
It is not always possible to use commercial simulation software when dealing with complex processes and spearhead technologies. In case of very high computational costs a customized semi-empirical fit may decrease the computational burden significantly, thus making a project economically feasible.
At Elomatic we are able to customize existing models, fit empirical sub-routines, make user interfaces or code brand new physical phenomena. Our normal tools are C++, FORTRAN or MATLAB. Our mathematical models are usually used as a part of the commercial CFD solvers or in-house CFD codeFINFLO®. We have also extensive experience of programming user-defined functions (UDF) for ANSYS Fluent.